Corona has disturbed the education ecosystem as a result of which several problems of online classes have emerged. Schools have adopted online methods of teaching however there are numerous critical problems associated with this approach. It is important that institutions, in collaboration with parents and respective stakeholders, work tirelessly to come up with strategies and action plans to resolve (or reduce the impact of ) these challenges. Below is a list of 24 problems of online classes
24 Disadvantages of Online Classes (E-Learning)
- Teachers cannot see what students are doing which directly impacts the quality of education as teachers cannot supervise the students properly.
- During normal school hours kids do a lot of physical movement in breaks whereas during online classes no major physical activity happens which leads to kids’ health issues.
- Kids learn a lot from each other when they socialize in school. Socializing results in exchange of information and ideas, establishes mutual trust and emotional bonding with each other and improves several personality traits. Online classes directly impact the grooming of kids.
- Due to continuous sitting in front of the screen, kids’ eyesight gets impacted or may lead to back issues due to extended sitting in the same posture.
- Families with more than one kid have to purchase additional tabs or computers which is a major cost for many middle-class parents.
- Many parents and kids have to face IT and network related problems. Families that do not have much exposure to technology suffer a lot due to this.
- Teachers cannot judge the level of comprehension of students and sometimes unable to provide ‘additional’ explanations to students. Usually, in regular classroom teaching, teachers can easily judge if the students are not grasping the concepts and he/she can exert extra efforts to let kids fathom the concepts.
- Many schools do not have a mechanism to check online homework. Teachers cannot check students’ textbooks, copy books and work books . Many students take ‘advantage’ of this and do not complete home assignments.
- Students may not follow instructions and rules and do not comply, knowing that school can’t do anything.
- Students and parents are not comfortable with the new ways of class tests and have to put extra effort into learning new mechanisms.
- Some students can easily deceive the exam system and take help from their siblings to pass the exam.
- Students can easily skip classes. Even if the teacher takes the attendance at start, it is quite easy for student to miss it for the rest of the class tenure
- Due to no interaction with class fellowes, students get bored which leads to distraction from study
- Students can play online games or watch videos while being ‘present’ in online class.
- Students may get distracted due to mic issues, speakers issues or other computer issues [such as patch upgrades, software restart etc]
- Students may take extended breaks for water or for washroom which may result in missing important parts of lessons.
- Since the students do not have to wake up early and get ready for school, they tend to sleep late which makes them dizzy during the class. Some students may fall asleep during the class. Sleeping late also impacts their health.
- Many students cannot practice what the teacher has taught. This lowers their graph of learning.
- Students do not get personal attention from the teacher in general and for specific problems.
- Some teachers do not produce qualitative presentations for kids to elaborate the contents.
- Students keep calling their parents for many small matters which creates stress for the parents.
- If one sibling makes noise, others can no longer pay attention to their classes. Small/medium size homes do not have adequate numbers of rooms to manage this.
- Some schools are charging extra fees for the online softwares, apps development and other IT services which is an additional burden on parents.
- To provide comfortable learning environments, students need a dedicated study table and overall setup. Families with 2 or more kids cannot purchase and manage extra furniture due to space and money constraints.
6 Advantages of Online Classes (E-Learning)
- Parents do not have to worry about making their kids ready for school early morning. They don’t need to make sure if the uniform is pressed, the kids’ school bag is ready and their lunch box is packed.
- Parents can monitor how their child is studying in the class. How much does he/she participate in the class. Parents can also get a feeling on how other students are responding in the class. This gives them an idea on how much extra efforts are needed for their kids to cover the gap, if any.
- Parents save money for not purchasing uniforms, for not paying school bus fees, for not filling the petrol / gasoline and not giving pocket money for the lunch.
- Parents do not have to worry about what kids eat from school canteen as they can serve homemade food to their loved ones.
- Students are free during the breaks in which they can spend time with parents or can do anything they like.
- While staying home, kids don’t get bullied which is a sigh of relief for some of the parents.
Additional resources: Disadvantages of online learning
Unlock Your Purpose – 11 Practical Steps for Living a Meaningful Life
In a nutshell, a great school is one that characterized by engaged and passionate educators, high academic standards, a diverse and well-rounded curriculum, strong leadership, effective communication with parents, and a commitment to continuous improvement. 101 Signs of a Great School
15 Individual Actions to Enhance Education in Poor Nations. Education in poor countries is essential because it empowers individuals to escape poverty, leads to improved health and well-being, and fosters economic and social development
orphans often face unique challenges in accessing and benefiting from it. In this article, we will delve into the educational hurdles that orphans encounter. Leaving No Child Behind – Extending Quality Education to Orphans
Ultimate Self-Assessment Guide for Teachers and 20 Teaching Mistakes
As busy parents, it can be difficult to find time to stay organized, but it is possible. With a few simple tips and tricks, you can get your family back on track and save money while doing so. 7 Cost-Efficient Organization Tips for Busy Parents
With the advent of artificial intelligence (AI), the field of education has witnessed a paradigm shift. AI tools are now transforming the teaching and learning experiences in the digital age. In this article, we will explore 10 essential AI tools that every teacher should have in their arsenal. 10 Must Have AI Tools For Teachers
Empowering orphaned children is not only a moral imperative but also crucial for shaping a brighter future for these vulnerable individuals. 17 Points Comprehensive Guide for Empowering Orphans
. As educators, it is our responsibility to make math engaging, accessible, and enjoyable for elementary school students. Elementary Math Teaching 7 Effective Strategies
In today’s digital age, it is becoming more and more crucial to teach kids how to code. It provides them with fundamental abilities that are useful for problem-solving, logical reasoning, divergent thinking and creativity. Python for Kids: Coding Games to Engage and Educate
As a high school graduate, you’re faced with an array of decisions that will shape your career path. With so many options available, it’s crucial to take the time to consider your goals and priorities carefully. Workforce After High School
progress report are best students? Well, sometimes it is true but not always. This article covers characteristics of best students. 7 Unique Qualities of Best Students
Hiring a teacher for your school involves a systematic process to ensure that you find the best candidates who meet your requirements and can contribute effectively to your educational institution. Hiring a Great Teacher with 10 Critical Skills
Congratulations on opening a new school! We understand that this can be an exciting and busy time, so we’ve put together a checklist to help you stay organized and ensure a smooth start. 65 Points Useful Checklist for Opening a New School
AI has undeniably revolutionized various sectors, including education, but it is important to acknowledge that there can be some negative impacts as well. 5 Negative Impacts of AI on Education
Orphans are among the most vulnerable members of society, often facing a myriad of challenges that can impact their well-being and future prospects. Recognizing the importance of protecting the rights of orphans, international organizations and governments have...
Staffing Up for Success: How Remote Job Seekers Benefit from Agencies In an increasingly digital world, the landscape of employment is undergoing a dramatic transformation. Remote work, once a niche option, has rapidly become a mainstream choice for professionals...
A teacher regulatory body, often known as a teacher regulatory authority or teacher licensing board, plays a crucial role in the education system by ensuring the quality, professionalism, and ethical standards of educators. Here are some reasons why it is important to...
Understanding the significance of STEM education is key to unlocking the potential of the next generation of innovators and thinkers. In a world where science, technology, engineering, and mathematics increasingly shape our everyday lives, effective STEM instruction...
Key Takeaways ThemeDescription1. Project-Based LearningEngaging students in project-based learning fosters creativity, collaboration, and problem-solving skills.2. Student-Centric LearningTailoring teaching methods to individual student needs fosters a more engaging...
Discovering Your True Purpose11 Practical Steps of Living a Purpose Life and Acheving Your Life PurposeUnlock Your Purpose - 11 Practical Steps for Living a Meaningful Life Discovering Your True Purpose Discovering your true purpose in life is a deeply personal and...
Why is education in poor countries important? What are the barriers to education in poor countries? 15 Individual Actions to Enhance Education in Poor Nations1. Support Local Schools2. Donate Books and Supplies3. Advocate for Education4. Mentorship5. Educate...
Leaving No Child Behind - Extending Quality Education to Orphans Introduction The Impact of Orphanhood on Education Emotional and psychological obstacles faced by orphans Disruptions in educational continuity Lack of financial resources and support...