How to evaluate a school – Use this 35 points check list
Corona has disturbed the education ecosystem as a result of which several problems of online classes have emerged. Schools have adopted online methods of teaching however there are numerous critical problems associated with this approach. It is important that institutions, in collaboration with parents and respective stakeholders, work tirelessly to come up with strategies and action plans to resolve (or reduce the impact of ) these challenges. Below is a list of 24 problems of online classes
24 Disadvantages of Online Classes (E-Learning)
- Teachers cannot see what students are doing which directly impacts the quality of education as teachers cannot supervise the students properly.
- During normal school hours kids do a lot of physical movement in breaks whereas during online classes no major physical activity happens which leads to kids’ health issues.
- Kids learn a lot from each other when they socialize in school. Socializing results in exchange of information and ideas, establishes mutual trust and emotional bonding with each other and improves several personality traits. Online classes directly impact the grooming of kids.
- Due to continuous sitting in front of the screen, kids’ eyesight gets impacted or may lead to back issues due to extended sitting in the same posture.
- Families with more than one kid have to purchase additional tabs or computers which is a major cost for many middle-class parents.
- Many parents and kids have to face IT and network related problems. Families that do not have much exposure to technology suffer a lot due to this.
- Teachers cannot judge the level of comprehension of students and sometimes unable to provide ‘additional’ explanations to students. Usually, in regular classroom teaching, teachers can easily judge if the students are not grasping the concepts and he/she can exert extra efforts to let kids fathom the concepts.
- Many schools do not have a mechanism to check online homework. Teachers cannot check students’ textbooks, copy books and work books . Many students take ‘advantage’ of this and do not complete home assignments.
- Students may not follow instructions and rules and do not comply, knowing that school can’t do anything.
- Students and parents are not comfortable with the new ways of class tests and have to put extra effort into learning new mechanisms.
- Some students can easily deceive the exam system and take help from their siblings to pass the exam.
- Students can easily skip classes. Even if the teacher takes the attendance at start, it is quite easy for student to miss it for the rest of the class tenure
- Due to no interaction with class fellowes, students get bored which leads to distraction from study
- Students can play online games or watch videos while being ‘present’ in online class.
- Students may get distracted due to mic issues, speakers issues or other computer issues [such as patch upgrades, software restart etc]
- Students may take extended breaks for water or for washroom which may result in missing important parts of lessons.
- Since the students do not have to wake up early and get ready for school, they tend to sleep late which makes them dizzy during the class. Some students may fall asleep during the class. Sleeping late also impacts their health.
- Many students cannot practice what the teacher has taught. This lowers their graph of learning.
- Students do not get personal attention from the teacher in general and for specific problems.
- Some teachers do not produce qualitative presentations for kids to elaborate the contents.
- Students keep calling their parents for many small matters which creates stress for the parents.
- If one sibling makes noise, others can no longer pay attention to their classes. Small/medium size homes do not have adequate numbers of rooms to manage this.
- Some schools are charging extra fees for the online softwares, apps development and other IT services which is an additional burden on parents.
- To provide comfortable learning environments, students need a dedicated study table and overall setup. Families with 2 or more kids cannot purchase and manage extra furniture due to space and money constraints.
6 Advantages of Online Classes (E-Learning)
- Parents do not have to worry about making their kids ready for school early morning. They don’t need to make sure if the uniform is pressed, the kids’ school bag is ready and their lunch box is packed.
- Parents can monitor how their child is studying in the class. How much does he/she participate in the class. Parents can also get a feeling on how other students are responding in the class. This gives them an idea on how much extra efforts are needed for their kids to cover the gap, if any.
- Parents save money for not purchasing uniforms, for not paying school bus fees, for not filling the petrol / gasoline and not giving pocket money for the lunch.
- Parents do not have to worry about what kids eat from school canteen as they can serve homemade food to their loved ones.
- Students are free during the breaks in which they can spend time with parents or can do anything they like.
- While staying home, kids don’t get bullied which is a sigh of relief for some of the parents.
Additional resources: Disadvantages of online learning
55 Qualities of a Great School
School Transport Syste
Home Work should be given to the students or they should be encouraged to complete their education in school
signs of a great teacher
what qualities best teachers have
Important aspects for selection of right school
With continuous increase in population on the planet and high rate of sudden death of young parents, it is imperative that new orphanages are established and operated in our societies. While most of the governments across the world are not economically strong enough...
This article provides 12 Study tips and tricks from top students. There are different types of students when it comes to studying approach: - Responsible and Active Students: Students who revise the course material every day and keep themselves synchronized...
Every parent wants to be the best one and strives to do all the right actions based on the mental apprehension of the subject. However, many of these actions may not produce the best results while upbringing the kids. Below is a list of 68 awesome tips about modern...
Ok, India is one of the largest economies of the world. Through its current education system, India produces best brain and supplies to the whole world. Yet, India has one of the poorest literacy rates in the world and most of its population does not have acess to...
Why Choosing The Right School Bag for Kids is Important School bag will be used by your child for the whole year. If you do not chose the right school bag, your child may have to face several problems such as: Back Pain, spine or shoulder problems - if the school bag...
Below are some of the key problems with Pakistan Education System: Extremely poor quality of teachers in government schools Existance of ghost schools (Schools that appear in papers only but do not exist!) No centralized control on school syllabus Not enough...
Parenting Tips Part 1 || Parenting Tips Part 2 || Parenting Tips Part 3 37. Tell meaningful stories - Stories are one of the best ways for teaching meaningful lessons of life. Stories stay in mind for longer duration and hence the message behind them. Read this...
Back in 90s kids never complained about being bored. Even i didn't know what 'bored' means as I used to spend most of my time with friends and having fun by doing simple stuff at home, in our street or in the play ground. Time is different now. Kids want variety in...